The Brink Of Disaster

"The tiger in my tank/ is going to go extinct/ And I'm not feelin' so good myself/ I think I'm on the brink of disaster!"

At last! My own little corner of dysfunction and ranting available whenever and wherever you choose. And yes, it is all about me.

Monday, June 13, 2005

Eragon

So I finished this book, Eragon, over the weekend, a book recommended to me by a good friend, the Senior Executive Hag in Residence. She liked it, as you might imagine, considering she recommended it to me. I was unimpressed.

It's a fantasy novel in the tradition of Lord of the Rings (but then again, aren't they all?) about a young man who finds a mysterious rock on a hunting trip, loses his family, gets a dragon, a sword and a mentor, goes on an adventure, learns about life, death, and all that crap, and finds an amazing, mile-high city (ala Minas Tirith) under a five-mile-high dormant volcano. In other words, it was a reasonably well-crafted pastiche of every hero story Europeans have been telling for the last three thousand years. And it was very obviously written by a seventeen-year-old young man.

That is in itself something of an accomplishment. When I was seventeen I hadn't attempted anything so monumental as a novel trilogy, let alone sold the book to Knopf or optioned the story for a movie deal. Impressive accomplishments for one so young, but I don't see that the author, Christopher Paolini, has the chops, or the story has the depth, to maintain that sort of success. Maybe, given time, the author can develop into a great author, but he's got to demonstrate more creativity than giving the protagonist of a story about dragon riders a name one letter different than dragon (the pronunciation guide indicates that the name should be pronounced something like air-Uh-gone, but I think it's more fun to remind one's self of Paolini's relative immaturity and the silliness of it all by pronouncing it more like it really is, Rrrr-rag-un), and slapping a frankenstein's monster of a story together from the finer points of Lord of the Rings and Star Wars, themselves hodge-podges of Northern and Western European lore, with good doses of Christianity and Taoism, respectively, added for good measure.

I kept waiting for it to get good. I kept waiting for him to express his growing attraction to his male traveling companion as if it were the most natural thing in the world. I kept waiting for the elf warrior-maiden to turn out to be a guy. I kept waiting for something really cool to happen, but it never did.

Color me bland.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home